Vehicle Document Storage
The Privacy Problem: Thanks to laptops, smart phones, DVDs and a deluge of other data-holding mobile devices, we carry as much sensitive data with us as we keep in our homes and offices. These devices are at a much higher risk of theft when they are in transit.
The Privacy Project: To help you better protect identity-bearing devices while they are being transported and stored in your car (RV, boat, etc.). The solution…
Watch The Video
It’s old news that thieves smash windows and break into cars for GPS navigation systems, stereos, cameras and anything else you’ve left lying around. More recently, thieves have found a more valuable treasure: laptop computers, iPhones, BlackBerrys, client files, tape backups, thumb drives, car registration documents or any receptacle of identity, personally identifying information or sensitive corporate data that can be worth thousands or millions of dollars.
Occasionally, the thieves make a big score, like they did recently when they stole a laptop out of the trunk of a car while the owner was sipping a latte at Starbucks. The laptop contained over 2 million complete identities. The data breach ended up costing the victim’s company more than $80 million (excluding loss of stock value, employee downtime and damaged brand).
Can you imagine if that was your car? Your company laptop? Your responsibility? It’s a nightmare scenario.
The Privacy Solution: SentrySafe AutoSafe.
Until recently, the only solution was to have a custom safe built for and bolted into your car. They tended to be cumbersome, extremely inflexible (once there, they are always there) and very expensive. In the past month, the makers of the SentrySafe line of home and office fire safes introduced the AutoSafe. It was designed with traditional theft in mind, but it serves the alternative purpose of protecting identity. Take a look at the short video above to see how the AutoSafe works.
I recommend the AutoSafe to help you protect the following identity sources (remember that the inside of a car can reach extreme temperatures – make sure you remove any temperature-sensitive devices after transit):
- Laptop hard drives (see video for explanation)
- Cell phone (when not needed in person)
- Thumb and jump drives, Palladin and data-transport devices
- Data CDs, DVDs and Tape Backups
- Passports or other identity documents that you need to transport
- Car-based identity documents (registration, insurance card, etc. – don’t forget to tell the policeman why you are keeping your documents in a safe before you start to get out of the car)
- Unfortunately, this safe is not large enough to store sensitive document files
Features (As published on the SentrySafe website):
- High security key lock: key drives the bolts
- 2 steel locking bolts
- Steel security cable anchors to seat or trunk
- Steel cable is vinyl coated to protect painted surfaces
- Designed to fit in foot well under seat or trunk
- Stylish aluminum and molded exterior design – reinforced with steel interior
- Foam lined to cushion contents
- Easy installation – no tools necessary
- Anti-slip protection includes: Velcro disks, rubber feet, carpet screw
- Color: Black
To purchase a SentrySafe AutoSafe AS-1, you must be a member of Costco. As soon as they are available elsewhere, I will let you know.